Query: Active backup destination: File
Media name: “Small Business Server Backup (02).bkf created 03/10/2009 at 06:37”
Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
“Registry Writer” has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System State. The backup cannot continue.
Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
The operation did not successfully complete.
Please run “vssadmin list writers” and “vssadmin list providers” in the command prompt and then post back the result here for anaylsis.
If you can see any error with the writers, please re-register the following files:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
cd /d %windir%\system32
Net stop vss
Net stop swprv
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
Note: some of the command may not run successfully.
Then, please refer to the following steps to boot the problematic server with clean boot mode check if you can perform backup.
Steps: Clean Boot
- On a problematic server perform a clean boot and check if the issue still exists
- Click Start->Run…->type msconfig and press Enter
- Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services.
- Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items
- Click OK and choose Restart