On the Vcenter, the ESXi server shows as “greyed out / disconnected / Not responding”.
It can be related to the corrupted management agent or Esxi is down (Purple screen) or Network related issue
- First confirm that the ESXi server is reachable via ping > If YES move to step 2 BUT, If NO, then troubleshoot to bring back the ESXi server online
- Try to connect directly to the ESXi through the VI client with root credentials> If YES , then restart the VPXA service > see screenshot 1 below (try reconnecting the ESXi on the Vcenter)
- If you can’t access the ESXi through VI client as well, then connect to the ESXI through putty and run this command > services.sh restart > see screenshot 2 (try reconnecting the ESXi on the Vcenter)
- If you can’t access the ESXI through Putty as well(because SSH is disabled), connect through Hardware console to restart the management services > see screenshot 3 below (try reconnecting the ESXi on the Vcenter)
- If the ESXi console view is not responding or not accessible, reset the ESXi using the hardware console (like HP ILO, DELL drac, Cisco UCSM) (try reconnecting the ESXi on the Vcenter)
- Once the ESXi has rebooted, try reconnecting it on the Vcenter. Make sure the VMs are load balanced in the cluster and working fine.